Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Motherhood, A STRaNGe Journey. . .

I don't know why, but I have been reflecting on my life as a mom the past couple of days. What a journey it has been so far!

I was walking down the hallway after waking everyone up to get ready for school, and it struck me how grown-up my kids are getting!

During the days of diapers, bottles, constant messes, crying, spitting up, sleepless nights, pregnancies, diaper bags, etc. I never thought that it would end. Sometimes I feel as though I wished it away much too quickly. There were times when I cherished my time with my little ones and other times when I couldn't wait for them to be a little more independent. If I had known when I was in the thick of a house full of diaper-bottomed-little-ones that it was going to go by as quickly as it did, I don't think I would have spent one second wishing for them to get a little bit older.

It is strange to me that my oldest son no longer lives with us. How did it happen so quickly that my oldest child is almost 19? I now have two children with drivers licenses and one who will get his permit in 7 months. I have more kids out of elementary school than I do in elementary school. Actually, I only have ONE left in elementary school. That hardly seems possible.

There have been highs and lows, ups and downs, tears and laughter, and a whole lot of craziness in between. It has been satisfying and frustrating, but so far my journey through motherhood has been one that I wouldn't change for the world!

My kids are everything to me and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for each one of them. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to be blessed with all five of them in my life. Not to brag, but, I have the greatest kids EVER! :)

2 comments:

  1. That was great! It is crazy how fast they grow up. It seams like just yesterday that Lindsay was born not 6 1/2 years ago. I so understand what you mean when you said there were days you cherished some moments and other times when you thought it would never end. Hopefully I can cherish more!

    You know if you ever miss the younger stages I know where you could barrow one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto, Ditto, DITTO!!! :) I have to admit that even though I am DONE having kids, thinking about my sis-in-law (Sandi) having a new little baby and "getting" to go through all of that again makes me a little jealous. I look back at my kids' baby pics and wish I would've just treasured it a little more. Not complained so much about all the "baby" stuff we had to go through, because it's such a short time of their life! I miss those days of baby smells, baby coos, baby giggles, warm, squishy baby skin, and the big, bright baby eyes staring right through you. I love having each one of my children and I love them to death. I always wondered how many kids I should have, and I hope I made the right choice to stop, lol! Anyhoo- I guess this is why I can't wait to be a grandma. I know, I have at least 8-10 years to go, but by then I know I'll be ACHING to hold another precious baby in my arms! Good post. :)

    ReplyDelete